South Indian vegetable moilee
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium potatoes cut in one inch cubes
- 2 medium sized onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ cup green beans, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- Juice of one large lime
1) Fry onion in vegetable oil until golden. Add turmeric, garlic, ginger, bay leaf and green chilli and fry for a minute or two.
2) Put in potatoes, green beans, peas, carrots and salt. Continue frying for about 5 mins.
3) Sprinkle in the water and cook until evaporated.
4) Add coconut milk and simmer very slowly until the vegetables are done, watching carefully for over-boiling.
5) Remove from heat and add the lime juice.
6) Serve with rice or chapattis.